Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Day 4: Food in Ecuador

So I am just now doing my research on what to expect when I get to South America. And of course first on my list is the food. I consider myself a pretty adventurous eater. Pretty much anything but Sushi is good in my book, and even that I've tried on multiple occassions. Something with me and raw fish just doesn't mix, and inevitably about 3 hours later the fish tends to come back up. The way I see it, raw fish is for Bears and Whales...not Humans.

Anyway, so the research on Ecuadorian food started this way:

Ecuadorian food consists mainly of soup and stews, corn pancakes, rice, eggs and vegetables.

Not a bad start. Nothing to exciting, but certainly some interesting dishes... but then it turned south:

ceviche a favourite throughout Ecuador. It consists of uncooked seafood (** see my comments above about Joe and raw fish **) marinated in lemon and served with popcorn and onion. Sounds strange but tastes delicous. Other local specialties include caldo de pates, a soup made from cattle hooves; cuy, whole roasted guinea pig; and lechón, suckling pig.

So we are dealing with raw fish, Cow Hoof Soup, and Guinea Pig. Perhaps I better pack some trail mix!

Total Pledged/minute: $0.01 + $1 per pound lost (I am planning on beginning the recruitment for pledges in earnest Monday.)

Today's Minutes: 35 Minutes
Total Minutes: 123 Minutes
Today's Distance: 9.5 Miles
Total Distance: 33.3 Miles

3 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, I'll pledge my $0.02 to the cause! Rock on!

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe this is pretty cool. I'll kick in a penny for every minute and another penny for every mile!

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give me a call when you get there! If you give me a mailing address I will send some Graeters and Skyline for the group!!!

Lynch

 

Post a Comment

<< Home